Friday, December 28, 2007

Autism Cure? New Findings By MIT

Having a son with autism, I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to claims of cures and findings of cause. I never bought into the "vaccines cause autism" movement because I've yet to find a single legitimate study that shows any connection and have found several that show zero connection.

However, this report from MIT looks promising.

We made up our minds very early on to accept my son as is, and teach him as much as he's capable of learning without focussing on "fixing" him. He's a very happy, healthy 18 year old and while he learns slowly, he continues to learn and progress.

Of course, if something comes about that can actually improve his quality of life, I'll be all over it. It does look like the folks at MIT are on to something. Clinical human trials may begin soon. The biggest challenge going forward for us may be teaching my boy how to deal with the world that the rest of us perceive. He seems very happy with the one he's got. Well, we've all got to grow up some time I suppose. Even though he's 18, his attitude and outlook are more like that of a 3 year old. It would be a mixed bag if he were to gain cognizance and intelligence while losing the bliss of childlike ignorance. But, it's a challenge I'd certainly like to take on.

No comments: