Thursday, January 17, 2008

Energy Saving Trick - The Hybrid Refrigerator

So I was chopping a big chunk of ice away from the side of my house the other day (I forgot to disconnect and fully turn off the hose) and an idea suddenly occured to me. Why not put some of that ice to good use? The result? The hybrid refrigerator. OK it's about as high tech as a pointy stick, but still a good idea. I got a fairly large sized metal bowl, put a couple big chunks of ice in it, covered it in aluminum foil and stuck it in the back of the fridge. Now I have a refrigerator/ice-box hybrid.

Granted it now takes up the space that we used to use for allowing left over soup to turn into unrecognizable goo, but I have noticed the motor doesn't kick on nearly as often. At least during the winter months, for those of you who live in colder climates, it could save you a couple of bucks in electricity and you get to feel all warm and fuzzy about being a little more "green". It costs nothing and takes about 5 minutes. I put the bowl of ice in there four days ago and there's still about 90% of it left.

For those of you in warmer climates, or during the summer, don't throw that leftover cooler ice out. Stick it in the back of the fridge, next to the baking soda.

No comments: