Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What were we Thinking?

Have you ever watched a movie or tv show that you remember as being really cool, only to discover that it's actually extremely lame? I had one of those moments recently. I was flipping through the free movies section on Comcast when I came across Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I saw it in a theater with some friends when I was about 10 and seemed to recall it was a pretty good flick. It was free, so what the heck. I decided to refresh my memory.

What were we thinking?! How the heck did we ever think this was cool? I mean it's not enough that the stars and the plot are lame, but Aerosmith (the band) actually gets beat up by the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton.

I got a shock from another old favorite when I re-watched "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". Remember the parade scene? I didn't. There's a part when the black people start gettin' down. They're all having a great time, but up the stairs and away, by themselves. A good distance from the white folk. A scene like that in a movie today would have to be either a parody or a Klan recruitment film. But, I don't remember anyone making a peep about it when Bueller was a big hit.

The same phenomenon is often true of music as well. I'll come across an album I haven't played in a couple of decades, only to find out it doesn't "rock" anymore.

So, if you have memories of music, movies, and the like that you haven't re-visited in a while, do yourself a favor. Don't argue with your kid when he or she tells you it's lame, and for God's sake, don't play it!

No comments: